faith comment newsletters annual reports archives audio video minutes engage

Minutes of the Co-ordinating Committee Meeting held in
The Salvation Army Hall, on Wednesday, 10 September at 7:30 pm

Purpose of Meeting: A forum for ‘communion’ and communication between PACT churches, PACT organisations and local Christians, to facilitate events aimed at increasing opportunities for joint worship, witness and work between PACT churches.

Present: John Callaghan (Chair), Paula Hudson (Secretary), Judith Bee, Hilary Bonney, Rosemary Davies, Vanessa Dowse, Peter Hollins, John Studd, Helen Mason, Lindy Young.

1. Introduction: John opened the meeting with a reading from John 17 in The Message.

2. Apologies for absence: Received from Emma Dean, Brian Edwards, Joanna Farrell, Andrew Hall, Will Hughes, Tom James, Simon Mason, Linda Read, Richard Saunders, Christine Tully.

3. Items for discussion under Item 12. No further items.

4. Minutes for last meeting (11th June 2014): Agreed & signed by John Callaghan.

5. Matters Arising: None raised.

6. Report on events since last meeting:

Holiday Club: Monday 28th July to Friday 1st August at TPS. Helen Mason reported t hat 225 children & accompanying adults attended the Messy Church part of Holiday Club, plus older children as Juniors. She & Emma are being shadowed by the new curate Max Cross & wife Susie from St Mary Magdalen, Sheet. See report on the website. There have been requests for a similar event at Easter. The need was stressed for continuing contact with the largely unchurched families who attended. The Chairman encouraged representatives from all churches to walk alongside these families, make contacts, and bring creative ideas.

Summer Festival: 24th August 2014: 11.30 – 11.50am : PACT service. The Chairman thanked the Salvation Army who played the hymns, Mike Gibson for hosting and giving the talk, and Martin and Rebecca Romanowicz for the drama. The Chairman said Petersfield Festivals were keen for PACT involvement , and our next opportunity was the Springfest Event. John Studd requested any photos for the PACT website.

Prospects: (formerly Causeway Prospects) Judith Bee reported that this group, started in 2000 to help people with learning difficulties, had closed in Petersfield with the July end of year party. It was agreed that thanks and flowers should be sent to Sylvia Parnell, organizer, who is recovering from an operation. A paragraph for the PACT newsletter and the website was requested.

7. Social Concerns: Christmas Day Lunch Hilary Bonney reported on the meeting held on 17th July. 80 people came to the 2013 dinner at the Methodist Church hall. The current organizers would like to expand provision but larger premises such as Churchers, Festival Hall, TPS, have restrictions on the use of their catering facilities. An alternative proposal was made to continue contact with those who came to the lunch, for example with a coffee morning. The Chairman agreed to write our appreciation , outlining the position. An invitation to the lunch will go out in the Petersfield Post on 18th Sept. Peter Hollins suggested that the W.I. and Methodist Church Womens Group also be asked inform their contacts about the meal. The need for admin support was also discussed. Social Concerns group minutes are on the PACT website – see CDL for Christmas Lunch. John Callaghan will ask the Ministers’ Fraternal for a minister to give the blessing & welcome, as Tom James, who came for the last 2 years, is unavailable.

Food Bank: Brian Edwards, from the Salvation Army, has been running the Food Bank, but wants to step down next year. It was agreed a job description was required and that the post be advertised (eg in church magazines, PACT newsletter, & website) so volunteers could shadow him in the coming year An advert was drafted along the lines of: Due to the success of the Food Bank, PACT is looking for volunteers to help. A DBS check will be required. Please contact your minister for further details.

8. Chairman’s Items

PACT Christmas Card: TPS chosen to provide the card this year. John Callaghan volunteered to pick up the cards from Peta Print on Friday 14th November & deliver them to the Salvation Army building for bundling after their afternoon service on Sunday 16th November.

Christian Week of Unity: Helen Mason had followed up Patsy Robinson’s proposal for a Church Healing Day. Helen is drawing up a revised proposal for a series of events through-out the week of unity, based on the Well Deep booklet, which can be adapted for the local community, & will bring details to the next meeting.

King’s Arms: A bid had been made for the Police Station but the Petersfield Museum had outbid them.

Carols in the Square: Thursday 18th December proposed for the service– date to be checked OK with Will Hughes and Steve Field, and whether St Peter’s available for refreshments.

Lent Courses: John Callaghan will ask Steve Field if he could co-ordinate as Simon Mason unavailable. Ministers requested to send in details of what they have planned.

General Election Hustings: PACT had been asked if they would host the Hustings for the candidates. This was agreed to.
PACT Chair/Vice Chair. The next incumbent s will be discussed at Ministers’ Fraternal 11th September 14.

9. Proposed Future Dates and Events

Wednesday, 12th November      7:30 pm   PACT Co-ordinating Committee (Annual Accounts, Christmas & new Vice Chair for 2015, Easter Card for 2015)     
Thursday 25th December   Christmas Day Lunch (same team as last year)
Wednesday, 14th January, 2015   7:30 pm  PACT AGM
Sunday, 18th January, 2015    Service for Week of Prayer for Christian Unity & Induction of new Chair

10. Any other business: Father Peter Hollins recommended the Covenant Players, who had done some Christian Drama at St Laurence’s last weekend.

11. Closing Prayer

web design by SiteWeave