Social Concerns Group, Petersfield
This group provides a forum for people from our churches concerned about and involved with the community in which we live. It has been meeting regularly since the late 1980's when its first task was to produce an information booklet for the use of the PACT Welcoming Scheme.
Since then it has promoted a number of initiatives including (for a period) a Contact Centre where divorced and separated parents could meet their children; Causeway Prospects, a worship activity for people with learning difficulties; and the popular Christmas Day Lunch for those who would otherwise be alone. Currently we are looking at the support given to older people in our church fellowships and, later, in the community as a whole.
The group encourages a sharing of information and resources, as well as providing feed-back to our congregations so it is helpful to include as many of the churches in PACT as possible.
PACT Social Concerns Group held at 25 Castle Garden
on Thursday 5 January 2017
Present:- Hilary Bonney, Sue Bone, Christine Tully, Joanna Fells
Apologies:- Isabel Chambers, Janet Love, Elisabeth Holmes, (Linda was reminded too late)
Hilary committed the meeting to the Lord in prayer.
Christmas Day Lunch. The Community Centre had worked well as a venue; Marika was able to do all the cooking in one kitchen. Though the kitchen was rather small for the servers and for clearing up. The setting up was successfully done the day before with little hassle.
The minibus had been very useful for transport.
It was good to have the mayor attend the event and greet each guest individually. We were also pleased that Judith Bee, Richard Saunders and the Masons came to greet and welcome the guests.
A cheque from Waitrose was promised but had not yet been received. This would cover about half of the cost. There were enough funds in reserve to cover the balance.
The wash up meeting would be held on Thurs Jan 19th in St Peter’s Church at 9.30am. A full report would be prepared after that.
- PACT AGM Wed 11th Jan 7.45pm in the Methodist Church (Not URC). PACT unity service 4pm Sun 22nd Jan Methodist Church.
- Womens’ World Day of Prayer planning meeting 20th Jan at St Laurence’s 1pm. Contact Wendy Younaine
- Women's Brunch. A new event organised by St Mary’s Sheet but open to all. Sat 21st Jan 10am-12noon at Herne Farm Leisure Centre. Guest speaker Rachel Firth on ‘encouragement’.
- Julie from the URC organised another ‘holiday at home’ event (lunch and a film) for the elderly on 29th Dec. The 12 attendees thoroughly enjoyed it./li>
- Hilary reminded us that the Pop in Centre needed volunteers in the cafe and the office. It was a good place for meeting up with friends.
The meeting closed with prayer.
Date of Next Meeting Thursday April 13th 2017 10.00 am 25 Castle Garden.